Jan 17, 2014

Making {Honey} Mustard is Easy!




I have been wanting to make mustard for some time now. Just one more item I can scratch off the grocery list. I don't want it to be complicated, and believe me, some recipes and steps involved make you go, huh?

One of the things I noticed on my mustard making quest was the sky's the limit as far as what kind of flavor you are looking for in your mustard. So this little recipe is my very own creation! You can make it anyway you want though as far as spices go and even liquids. I saw a few recipes that used grape juice instead of water and some even used stout. Some recipes called for cranberries and others for lavender. So get creative or keep it plain! Either way it's gonna be good!




Here's a little tip you need to know, yellow mustard seeds are milder in flavor than a black mustard seed which is stronger in flavor and gives it that hot and spicy kick to it. I had yellow on hand so that is what I used and would prefer anyway.

Aside from mustard being a favorite condiment it is packed with healing abilities! Ya, I know! Who knew, right!

Mustard is high in antioxidants, is an antiseptic, and is anti fungal. It contains omega 3's, 6's, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium! It also contains selenium which aids in reducing inflammation.

This stuff is gooood! With that said I hope you don't hold back on your next sandwich, hot dog, or burger when the mustard is served!

So here it is in all it's simple and beneficial glory!



I dressed it up a bit and went for more than just your average mustard. I went with a honey mustard.

You will need:

1/4 C. of mustard powder (yellow)
1/4C. of mustard seeds (yellow)
1/2 tsp. of turmeric (again, so good for you and colorful)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
dash of salt
3tsp. of toasted sesame seeds
2 tsp. brown sugar
3 Tbs. of sesame oil
2 Tbs. of honey
1/2 C. of apple cider vinegar
1/2 C. of water

I chose to leave the 1/4 cup of mustard seeds whole because I like the little bits in the mustard for texture, but if you do not then grind them and use 1/2 cup of powdered mustard total. You don't have to put the sesame seeds in either if you are opposed to texture.



Mix all of your dry ingredients together. Put them into a small sauce pot and add the oil, water, vinegar, and honey. Whisk together. Bring it to a boil and turn it down. Keep it at a low simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with the whisk.



It will thicken as it cooks to a nice mustardy consistency. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.



While I was making the mustard I was quickly rolling out my soft pretzel dough RECIPE HERE. Yummy, yummy. That's all I could think of! Salted soft pretzels and homemade honey mustard!!!

I took the first bite while all was quiet in the kitchen, just me, the pretzels, and the mustard. ( This would be a good time to confess that I am one of those mother's that hides in the bathroom, or laundry room, or closet, to sneak the last chocolate chip cookie, or the first pretzel, before the troops come charging in. But, shhh, don't tell the kids!) If this was good, it would be gone, fast! Phew! Good thing I took the necessary precautions! It was good! Really good! The announcement was made, the thunder commenced, they swarmed, and then it was over as if it never happened.



If you want a plain mustard I would just eliminate the sesame seeds and sesame oil, the brown sugar and the honey.

 Just one more item to check off the grocery list!! Store in the frig as you would your store bought mustard.


"And Jesus said unto them Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, 
If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, 
ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove,
and nothing shall be impossible to you."
Matthew 17:20



Thanks for stopping by the coop today!

8 comments:

  1. I have never thought of making my own mustard! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I hope you try it!

      Delete
  2. That looks so good with that pretzel!! I am not normally a mustard person but your pictures looked so tasty! My hiding place for foods is behind the freezer in our mud room. Hubby caught me there one day with some chocolate, how embarrassing! How can you explain that???… to a man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That is too funny!:)...I am not really a mustard person either and I detest store bought honey mustard, gross! But I can't stop eating this stuff!!

      Delete
  3. I never realized how much was in mustard. Wow. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your honey mustard looks awesome! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again today! We have a brand new giveaway going on...be sure to enter for a chance to win!

    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2014/01/anniversary-giveaway-week-2-the-homeacre-hop-55.html

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation by leaving a comment! We look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...